Sunday, May 6, 2012


    After my last post about using the van for camping and that it is the largest vehicle I would use, I feel the need to explain my reasoning. I have never owned or used a motor home. Nor have I had a trailer longer than 12 feet. I’m sure for some people it makes sense.
     For 45 years I have camped using bicycle, motorcycle, backpack, tent, camper shell, tent trailer, 12 foot fiberglass trailer and three different vans. In my mind the most simplicity and freedom there is in camping is backpacking. The theory for me is the same with all of the conveyances mentioned above. Simplicity and freedom lend to more time to enjoy being outdoors.
     All of the above boils down to one fact in my mind, shelter from the elements and a way to get where you are going. The van makes sense to me because it gives us shelter and transportation in one unit. Not to mention that it becomes a day to day vehicle when you get home.
     Anyone who has ever owned a trailer will attest to the fact that they are high maintenance and most require a substantial vehicle for towing. When you combine these two it equals rotten gas mileage, six or more tires and in most cases a storage fee for the trailer. Wow!
     Everything I mentioned above applies to motor homes also!
     Tents are wonderful. They are inexpensive, come in all sizes and stow away in any mode of transportation. Tents are the most traditional piece of camping equipment of all. They are your shelter and storage area. The downside to tents is that they only protect you well in decent weather or light rain. When rain comes into the picture they are a pain in the rear to take down and transport. If you put them away wet, you have to set them up later at home to dry them out.
     Camper shells on a pickup work well for a dry place off the ground to sleep and store your gear. The downside is that you can barely sit up inside them. Even getting dressed is quite an ordeal. On a stormy day it is also very cramped while you wait out the weather.
      To sum it all up I have to reiterate that simple is the keyword.
      In my next post I will begin to share my experiences with basic gear and camp craft.   


1 comment: